Preparation For Winter Storms Starts NOW Iowa…
Look, I know winter is not at full capacity here in Iowa yet but that doesn't mean that we should be caught off guard when it does hit us ( I say when not if because it's inevitable Iowa, sorry).
If you are not from the area like I was last year, you may think you are prepared for a winter here in the Cedar Valley, and friends I am here to tell you... YOU'RE NOT. Look I still came from a Midwestern state that has winter and snow but that means nothing until you experience a winter in Iowa. So, to make us all prepared to settle in this winter and be safe during a winter storm here are some basic survival items you should get NOW before winter sets in for your household.
- Candles, matches, flashlights AND batteries (flashlights without batteries are useless)
- Non-perishable food to last a few days such as caned food, snacks and water
- Battery-powered radios (if you can still find those) and even cell-phone chargers
- First aid kits, blankets, extra clothes to keep warm
- Don't forget about your pets! - Pet food, litter box, blankets, water
- Snow removal items such as shovels and salt
- If you don't want to go into insanity make sure to have things to pass the times especially with kids! Board games, cards, magazines, or my favorite- books.