Now is the Time to Winterize Your Car. Here’s how.
Get these things done now, so you car has a better chance of surviving this winter.
It feels like we prepare for Christmas a heck of a lot more than we prepare for winter itself. But all you have to do is a few random things to your car and purchase somethings that you should keep in your car that will help you during the brutal Iowa winter months.
- Change the oil
- Change any other flush that maybe low or old
- Get your battery checked
- Top off the windshield wiper fluid
- Ice Scraper (with extension)
- New Windshield Wipers
- Another set of boots, gloves, hats to keep in the car in case it breaks down in the cold
- Flashlight (Hate that it'll be dark by 4:30pm)
- Jumper Cables
- Puzzle or crossword book (You should keep yourself entertained with something that isn't your phone. Your phone will run out of battery life and you don't want a dead phone if you're stranded on the side of the road)
- Kitty Litter (This gives you traction if you are stuck in the snow) DO NOT USE ANTIFREEZE TO MELT SNOW AROUND YOUR TIRES.
Also, your unconventional tip for winterizing your car...
Keep an empty bottle in the car. (Yes it sounds gross but it might come in handy) Soldiers are taught to go in the bottle and hold on to it. It was in your body so you'll be holding something that was just 98.6 degrees. You might be thankful for it later.