Investigators believe a faulty air conditioner likely sparked a fire at an Independence apartment building that left four families homeless over the weekend.

Firefighters were called out to extinguish the fire in the 100 block of 6th Ave. SE around 4:15 PM on Saturday, after a neighbor spotted flames. When fire crews arrived at the scene, they found heavy smoke and flames shooting from the roof of the multi-unit apartment complex.

According to Independence fire officials, crews quickly determined that everyone was out of the burning building and they worked quickly to knock down the flames. No injuries were reported.

The fire appears to have started in the attic. Officials said the fire remains under investigation, but the preliminary cause is believed to be a faulty air conditioner.

The fire caused major damage to the building and displaced four families. The American Red Cross stepped in to assist the families.

More From 97.7 KCRR