Gas Explosion In Mobile Home Stove May Be Weather Related
Authorities are trying to determine if a gas leak and explosion at a Chickasaw County trailer park was caused by the weather.
Early Wednesday morning, emergency workers were summoned to Parkview Mobile Home Park in New Hampton, on the report of a kitchen stove exploding in one of the homes.
According to the New Hampton Fire Department, a natural gas leak occurred outside the house, with the gas making it's way into the mobile home, and then ignited by the pilot light on the kitchen stove.
The family was home at the time, and told authorities that they heard an explosion and saw a fireball blast through part of their residence. No one was in the kitchen when the gas ignited, and no injuries were reported. The blast nearly pushed the stove into the living room.
The mobile home sustained considerable damage. The family is now staying in Charles City until they can move back. Their names have not been released.
The exact cause of the gas leak is still under investigation, although weather was cited as a possible cause.
Emergency crews were at the scene for about 6 hours. The New Hampton Fire Department was assisted by Black Hills Energy, Chickasaw County Rescue Squad, Chickasaw Ambulance Service, Chickasaw County Sheriff, and New Hampton Police.