Fire Damages Waterloo Home
Waterloo Fire Rescue officials are reminding residents not to leave recreational fires or barbeque grills unattended, especially in high wind.
A rural Waterloo family learned an expensive lesson over the weekend when fire severely damaged their home and destroyed part of their property.
Firefighters and Black Hawk County sheriff’s deputies were called to a one-story house at 4137 George Drive around 3 PM Sunday and discovered a fire raging out of control. Firefighters had trouble containing the fire, due to 40 mile-per-hour winds and a lack of hydrants in the area.
Waterloo Fire Rescue officials said the fire started in a detached garage, where a barbeque grill was left unattended. The fire then spread to the house and a camper parked near the garage.
Officials said the camper, garage and a car inside the garage were all destroyed. The house was severely damaged.
No injuries were reported.