High Winds Take Down a Big Rig Yesterday in Iowa [VIDEO]
Iowa has experienced plenty of windy days lately. Yesterday many of us saw wind gusts of 55 mph.
This video was captured of a semi traveling near the Iowa-Minnesota border. The winds catch the trailer of the big rig and blow it across the highway and onto its side. Scary stuff.
Here's the video that was shot by another driver.
According to the social media post, the driver got out of the truck safely and did not appear to be hurt.
High wind warnings were issued for most of the state of Iowa yesterday. There were several reports of downed power lines and trees. In Bettendorf, Iowa a power pole snapped in half. An eastern Iowa news anchor captured these photos after she saw a fireball and live power lines after the pole snapped.
Meteorologists say winds will be much lighter across the state of Iowa today. The National Weather Service offers these safety tips when we're experiencing high winds.
- Report downed lines to your local utility emergency center and to the police. Do not try to free lines or remove debris yourself.
- Avoid anything that may be downed lines, including vehicles or tree branches. Puddles and even wet or snow-covered ground can conduct electricity in some cases. Warn others to stay away.
If you happen to be behind the wheel during windy conditions utilize these important tips to stay safe.
- Keep both hands on the wheel and slow down.
- Watch for objects blowing across the roadway and into your path.
- Keep a safe distance from cars in adjacent lanes as strong gusts could push a car outside its lane of travel.
- Take extra care in a high-profile vehicle such as a truck, van, SUV, or when towing a trailer, as these are more prone to be pushed or even flipped by high wind gusts.
- If winds are severe enough to prevent safe driving, get onto the shoulder of the road and stop, making sure you are away from trees or other tall objects that could fall onto your vehicle.
- Stay in the car and turn on the hazard lights until the wind subsides.
Be safe out there. We're sure to have more windy days coming our way this spring.
Yep, You Can Stay in an Actual Iowa Grain Bin!
gallery galleryid="341:253297" gallerytitle="See the Must-Drive Roads in Every State"]