Gov. Kim Reynolds has issued a disaster proclamation for 19 Iowa counties impacted by flooding and severe weather over the past week.

The proclamation allows the use of state resources to help with the recovery from damaging winds, heavy rains, flooding and tornadoes that took place beginning Oct. 4, 2018. The following counties are included in the proclamation: Black Hawk, Buena Vista, Butler, Cedar, Cerro Gordo, Clarke, Des Moines, Dubuque, Emmet, Fayette, Franklin, Iowa, Johnson, Kossuth, Lee, Marshall, Ringgold, Scott and Union.

The governor's proclamation activates the Iowa Individual Assistance Grant and Disaster Case Management programs, which provide grants of up to $5,000 to residents who meet income guidelines. Grants are available for home or car repairs, replacement of clothing or food and temporary housing expenses. Original receipts are required for those seeking reimbursement for actual expenses related to storm recovery.

The grant application and instructions are available on the Iowa Department of Human Services website. Potential applicants have 45 days from the date of the proclamation to submit a claim.

Disaster Case Management is a program to address serious needs to overcome a disaster-related hardship, injury or adverse condition. Disaster case managers work with clients to create a disaster recovery plan and provide guidance, advice and referral to obtain a service or resource. There are no income eligibility requirements for this program; it closes 180 days from the date of the governor's proclamation. For information on the Disaster Case Management Program, contact your local community action association or visit

Residents of counties impacted by the recent severe weather are asked to report damage to help local and state officials better understand the damage sustained. Damage to property, roads, utilities and other storm-related information may be reported. This information will be collected by the Iowa Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management and shared with local emergency management agencies. Report damage through the link provided at

More From 97.7 KCRR