Former Cedar Falls Councilman Running For Mayor
A former Cedar Falls city council member plans to run for mayor in the upcoming municipal election.
Tom Blanford announced his candidacy earlier this week, saying his name will be on the ballot when voters go to the polls in November. The 29-year-old Cedar Falls High School and University of Northern Iowa graduate is the first person to officially enter the race for race.
Blanford served three years on the Cedar Falls Human Rights Commission prior to being elected to the city council in 2015. During his time on the council, he was twice appointed Mayor Pro Tem.
"Cedar Falls is a fantastic place to call home, benefiting from generations of leaders and volunteers who worked together toward a common goal," Blanford said in a press release. "It's time for our community to come together again and decide what we want Cedar Falls to look like for the next generation."
Blanford is currently employed by Collins Holding Company in Cedar Falls, where he is the vice president of administration. According to the press release, Blanford has been in the financial industry 12 years. His experience includes organizational management, small business lending, financial analysis, and business development.
In addition to serving on the city council, Blanford has worked with many local organizations in Cedar Falls. Those groups include the Cedar Falls Schools Foundation, Grow Cedar Valley government affairs committee, Friends of Hartman Reserve, Cedar Valley United Way and the Cedar Bend Humane Society.
There are several things Blanford plans to focus on, if he's elected mayor. The list includes the following:
- Focus on the city's core neighborhoods, protecting and preserving the historic segments of Cedar Falls.
- Develop new public-private partnerships.
- Build a community support structure, addressing mental health and access to healthcare.
- Lead an equitable economic recovery for all Cedar Falls residents.
- Attract and retain talent, building our future workforce.
- Maintain a balanced budget and sound financial management.
- Invest in the future of our community, focusing on public transportation, housing, recreation and energy efficiency.
- Ensure City Hall is open and accessible to all residents.
For more information on Tom Blanford's campaign, CLICK HERE.
Here is All The House You Get for $1 Million Dollar in Cedar Falls vs. Los Angeles
KEEP READING: See the richest person in every state