2018 Iowa High School Football Championship - Class 1A

It just wasn't meant to be for Dike-New Hartford.

The momentum pendulum that swung back-and-forth throughout the Class 1A state championship game inside the UNI-Dome, eventually tipped in West Sioux's favor. When the clock struck zero, the Falcons were celebrating their second consecutive title, while the Wolverines were hoisting the runner-up trophy for the fifth time in program history.

West Sioux quarterback Hunter Dekkers threw for 391 yards and five touchdowns -- both championship game records -- in the Falcons' 52-38 victory over Dike-New Hartford Friday afternoon (Nov. 16, 2018).

The Falcons scored 21-straight points over the final half of the fourth quarter to secure the victory. Dekkers hooked up with Kade Lynott on a 55-yard touchdown pass at the 6:50 mark to break a 38-38 tie. The Dekkers-Lynott combination struck again about five minutes later, when they hooked up on a 45-yard score that put West Sioux in front for good.

With 2:30 remaining, Dike-New Hartford had enough time to rally. However, the Wolverines fumbled on the ensuing kick-off. After the Falcons recovered, Dekkers broke several tackles and ran 25 yards for the game's final score just :33 later.

In addition to his record passing performance, Dekkers rushed for 120 yards on 18 carriers to led West Sioux' ground attack.

For Dike-New Hartford, the ending was a gut-wrencher. After being held to just 14 yards of offense in the third quarter, Dike-New Hartford rallied to take the lead in the fourth, scoring twice in a span of nine seconds.

Drew Sonnenberg hooked up with Parker Kiewiet on a 32-yard touchdown pass at the 9:15 mark, then connected with Tristan Cleveland for the two-point play to tie the game at 31-31. Sonnenberg ended the day with 232 yards passing, while Kiewiet had 140 receiving yards.

After the Falcons fumbled away the ensuing kick-off, Cade Bennett found the end zone on a 2-yard run to put the Wolverines ahead 38-31. The advantage, however, wouldn't last. Dike-New Hartford committed four costly turnovers in the final 5:35.

It was a disappointing end for the Wolverines, who owned a 13-3 lead after the first quarter and a 23-17 edge at halftime.

More From 97.7 KCRR