A local pyrotechnician got a little more "boom" than he bargained for after a 4th of July fireworks show at the Waterloo Bucks baseball game.

Bob Chase lived up to his nickname on his custom license plate, "Pyro Bob", on Sunday night.  "After the Bucks game, I went through the usual procedure of dousing all of the cakes with water and making sure no smoke or anything was coming from any of the already shot products. And I let them sit out for a little while as an extra precaution,"  said Chase.

Scroll down to watch our exclusive video of the car on fire

At about 10:10 p.m., as he was leaving Riverfront Stadium and on his way home, he smelled a very strong smoke smell in his car. At that point, Chase thought, "the worst thing you can do in that situation is to unroll any windows because in a moving car that can give a fire more oxygen to start a fire." Plus, he didn't want to run out of air to breathe himself, so he pulled over immediately on Conger Street, right after the San Souci bridge.

Within seconds the car with the license plate “PYROBOB” was engulfed in flames

Chase went on to explain, "I got out of the car and opened up the back. I found one cake with smoke coming out of it, so I got it out of my car put it on the ground, and started to dump more water on it to put it out. I did not see any more smoke or anything coming from my car while I was dumping water on the one cake but suddenly, I saw a light flicker out of the corner of my eye and there was a small cardboard box that had a small flame on it. It did not take long for the fire to spread.  Within a matter of seconds, the car was completely covered in flames.

Firefighters haven't determined the exact cause of the fire, but according to Chase, "there could have been a small ember inside of something that couldn’t be seen and when the back was opened up, it would have only taken a small gust of wind for it to ignite."

Luckily, Chase was not injured, however after firefighters extinguished the flames, the Suburu Outback was determined a total loss.

Click on the video below to watch as firefighters extinguish the fire

KEEP READING: 10 Questions You Should Never Ask Somebody From Iowa

Who's Hungry? - Most Popular Chinese Restaurants in the Cedar Valley Area

More From 97.7 KCRR