2019 Iowa High School Football Championship Results
The Iowa High School football playoffs has come to an end with the crowning of six state champions at the UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls.
The 'Road to the Dome' began with first-round games on Friday, Nov. 1 and continued with the quarterfinals on Friday, Nov. 8. Semifinal games were played on Thursday, Nov. 14, Friday, Nov. 15, and Saturday, Nov. 16.
Championship results for each class are listed below.
8-PLAYER CHAMPIONSHIP -- Thursday, Nov. 21 (10 AM):
Don Bosco 35, Audubon 19 [PHOTOS]
- Don Bosco (13-0) wins its fourth state championship in seven years. Thomas Even had four touchdown runs and Dillon Welter intercepted two fourth quarter passes to secure the win. The trip to the finals was the first for the Wheelers (12-2) since 1977.
CLASS A - CHAMPIONSHIP -- Thursday, Nov. 21 (1:30 PM):
West Hancock, Britt 21, Grundy Center 17
- West Hancock (13-0) tallied 420 yards of offense en route to winning its third state title, each of which are separated by 23 years. Fullback Tate Hagen scored all three touchdowns for the Eagles, while rushing for 233 yards on 36 carries. The trip to the finals was the first for Grundy Center (11-2) in 31 years. The future looks bright for the Spartans, who lose only six seniors to graduation.
CLASS 3A - CHAMPIONSHIP -- Thursday, Nov. 21 (7 PM):
Western Dubuque, Epworth 37, Solon 17
- The Bobcats (13-0) capped an unbeaten season by winning their second state title and first under Coach Justin Penner, a Waterloo East graduate. Jake Hosch and Ben Bryant each had a pair of touchdown runs for Western Dubuque. In its 30th playoff appearance, Solon (12-1) was seeking its sixth championship and first since winning four-straight from 2007-2010.
CLASS 1A - CHAMPIONSHIP -- Friday, Nov. 22 (10 AM):
West Lyon, Inwood 50, Van Meter 14
- The team from the far northwest corner of Iowa won its fifth title with an outstanding performance against the 2017 champions. West Lyon (12-1) tallied 412 yards of offense in the win, which featured a 36-yard hail mary touchdown pass from Jalyn Gramstad to Jaxon Meyer as time expired in the second quarter that put the Wildcats up 29-7 at halftime. Top-seed Van Meter (12-1) was seeking its second title.
CLASS 2A - CHAMPIONSHIP -- Friday, Nov. 22 (1 PM):
OA-BCIG 37, Waukon 12
- The Falcons (13-0) first-ever trip to the UNI-Dome ended with the first state championship in program history for Odebolt-Arthur-Battle Creek-Ida Grove. The Falcons amassed 458 yards of offense, with Cooper DeJean leading the way. The junior quarterback threw for 250 yards and two touchdowns while completing 19 of 34 passes. He also ran for 167 yards and two scores on 20 carries. Waukon was seeking its second state title. The Indians (12-1) won the crown in 2017 and also finished second in 2013.
CLASS 4A - CHAMPIONSHIP -- Friday, Nov. 22 (7 PM):
West Des Moines Dowling Catholic 21, West Des Moines Valley 16
- The Maroons (12-1) won their unprecedented seventh-straight state championship by avenging their only loss of the season, a 29-22 setback in Week 2. Iowa-bound runningback Gavin Williams ran for two second quarter touchdowns after Valley took a 10-0 lead. Dowling Catholic took the second half kickoff and drove 80 yards in nine plays to extend the margin to 21-10. The Tigers (12-1) couldn't mount a comeback.