Waterloo dropped a close game on Friday night in over-time...then stomped on the "Stampede" on Saturday night in a blow-out...

Two goals in each period and 26 saves by Evan Fear propelled the Black Hawks to a 6-0 shutout victory against Sioux Falls Saturday at Young Arena during Game Two of the USHL Western Conference semifinal series between the teams. Fear was busiest in the first period, making 11 saves and preserving an early lead, established at 4:59 when Matt Cameron roped in a shot from near the top of the right circle.

One save Fear didn’t make came at the 11 minute mark. Sioux Falls’ forward Jared Westcott swiped the puck in the right corner and was on the cusp of catching the Hawks’ netminder out of the crease. However, defenseman Hank Sorensen came sliding across the goalmouth to block Westcott’s chance. Sorensen subsequently built the lead with a power play conversion from the top of the left circle at 16:57.

The Black Hawks added two more power play goals in the second period. With four seconds left during an advantage at 10:31, Brehdan Engum blasted in a special teams goal from the right point on the first of three assists by Emil Ohrvall. Three-and-a-half minutes later, Wyatt Schingoethe zoomed into the zone, slipping a backhanded pass across the top of the crease to Matej Blumel, who spiked in a score. Teddy Lagerback added an unassisted goal at 5:29 of the third, scoring from a sharp angle after taking away a puck played around the boards. Waterloo’s fourth power play goal of the night came with just under nine minutes remaining as Blumel swatted in a rebound kept alive by Vladislav Firstov.

Courtesy - Waterloo Black Hawks
Courtesy - Waterloo Black Hawks

Sam Stevens provided the game-winning goal with 29.5 seconds left in overtime to claim a 3-2 Sioux Falls win Friday during Game One of the playoff series.

On a rush into the Black Hawks’ zone, Andre Lee flipped a pass from the right circle toward the front of the net, and Stevens re-directed the puck. The winning score came after Waterloo had out-shot Sioux Falls 12-4 in overtime to that point. Jaxson Stauber made 35 saves on the night in the Stampede crease.

Following a scoreless first period, Sioux Falls nudged in front at 5:44 of the second. A three-on-two rush became a four-on-two; defenseman Matt Kessel went to the net and Jami Krannila connected with him, leaving Kessel with an open side. The Stampede’s 1-0 lead lasted about three-and-a-half minutes. During a power play, Emil Ohrvall feigned a shot from the right point, instead sweeping the puck to Matej Blumel, who scored on a quick shot. The Black Hawks then took the lead at 15:05; the puck was near the side of the net, and Wyatt Schingoethe got the last touch amidst a congregation of players to Stauber’s left. A five-on-three Stampede power play led to the game-tying score at 10:32 of the third period. Max Crozier’s shot from the left point changed directions and found its way through traffic and between the pipes.

Games Three and Four between the Black Hawks and Stampede will be Tuesday and Wednesday in Sioux Falls. If necessary, a fifth game would be back at Young Arena on Saturday, April 27th.

More From 97.7 KCRR