Contact Us

Black Hawks Move into Second Place

Waterloo Black Hawks
Waterloo Black Hawks (File Photo: Bucky Doren)

It was a big win Saturday night for the Waterloo Black Hawks. The 4-3 victory over the Chicago Steel moved Waterloo into second in the Anderson Cup battle.

Entering Saturday’s game, Chicago had the second best record in the United States Hockey League trailing the Sioux City Musketeers by two standing points. Waterloo was third, just one point back of Chicago and three behind Sioux City. The huge win in Waterloo allowed the Black Hawks to leapfrog the Steel in the USHL standings. Sioux City maintained its three-point lead over Waterloo thanks to an 8-1 win over Team USA.

The top two teams in the USHL meet Friday (March 24) in Sioux City. The Musketeers host the Black Hawks at the Tyson Events Center. The puck drops at 7:05 PM.

On Saturday, the Black Hawks return home to play the Dubuque Fighting Saints. On Sunday the team travels to Des Moines to battle the Buccaneers.

Game Recap Provided By Waterloo Black Hawks (Tim Harwood)

Kevin Charyszyn recorded the only goal in the first period at 15:07. Bailey Conger passed from the side of the net to Charyszyn – positioned inside the right dot – and the Hawks’ leading goal scorer snapped in a wrister. Peter Thome preserved the lead in the final two minutes before intermission making successive transition saves: first with the glove against Jason O’Neill, then with his left pad on Brannon McManus during Chicago’s next shift.

All the scoring during the second came during a one minute span. Reggie Lutz tied the game at 9:04, skating across the high slot and blasting a slapshot low to Thome’s glove side. Less than a minute later, Yuki Miura put Waterloo back in front. At 9:52, Ethan Spaxman’s wide shot from the left point bounced off the end boards to Miura at the opposite side of the net; Miura put it in to an open goal to establish a new Waterloo lead.

Jackson Cates scored in much the same way at 8:31 of the third. An errant Spaxman shot came off the end wall to Cates, who flipped it in. Jack Badiini answered just less than four minutes later when Reilly Walsh’s try was partially blocked but landed in front of Badini at pointblank range.

Garrett Wait secured the win with 38.8 seconds remaining, scoring into an empty net from just shy of the center red line. That proved to be the game-winner after Eduards Tralmaks flipped in a final Chicago goal with 13.9 seconds remaining.

Click Here For More Area Sports News & Results

Recommended For You

Best of the Web

Recommended For You

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing VIP profile. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to using your original account information.

*Please note that your prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

(Forgot your password?)

Not a member? Sign up here

Sign up for 97.7 KCRR quickly by connecting your Facebook account. It's just as secure and no password to remember!

Sign up to have exclusive 97.7 KCRR contests, events, coupons, presales, and much more delivered to you for FREE.